Skip to content
Home » What To Know About Pet Exports

What To Know About Pet Exports

Traveling out of the EU is now required for your pet to be issued the Export Health Certificate (EHC). Additionally, you will need to submit an application for export If you live located in Great Britain (England, Scotland or Wales). This is applicable to all species.

You’ll need to choose an official veterinarian who will be the person to which the export health Certificate will be given. It could take up to 2 weeks for the documents to arrive, which is why we suggest starting as soon as you can. The different countries you are planning to visit will have different requirements regarding vaccinations for your pet treatment for parasites and tests. This EHC as well as the Export Application Form will contain additional information about the particular country you’ve chosen.

Identification of pets and vaccination

Your pet should have an individual identification to leave the EU. This could be the form of a microchip, closed ring, or tattoo. Your pet could also require specific vaccines in addition to the routine vaccinations. For instance, they may require the rabies vaccine. For more details on the above, check out our travel information within Europe and Northern Ireland page. EU or NI page.

Your pet might also require an antibody test for rabies (a Blood test) prior to traveling out within the EU. The test should be performed at least 30 days following the rabies vaccination. If the results are within the acceptable limit the pet is able to travel 120 days after. If the score is not sufficient it will require an additional booster vaccination against rabies and a the test will be repeated 30 days later. Therefore, we recommend planning your pet’s trip at minimum 6 months ahead of your planned travel date.

Exporting your pet bird

Birds that travel beyond the EU are often required to be subjected to a 21-day isolation period prior the travel. This should include an examination conducted by an official Veterinarian on the first day to confirm the isolation capabilities followed by a second exam prior to departure. You must allow at least 1 month between the application and departure in all cases. Birds might also require cloacal swabs or tests of blood to confirm that they are not suffering from Avian Influenza. These tests should be carried out by specific labs, at specific times during the period of isolation. More details will be contained in the EHC sent to the Veterinarian of the Official.

Every bird will need the Export Health Certificate, whether traveling within or out of the EU. It is impossible animals to fly without the export certificate.

The countries you are visiting may not be able to accept your pet!

Certain countries do not allow imports of certain species regardless of the reason behind the travel. If you are in this situation for your pet, you’re responsible for arranging a suitable alternative with your furry friend. If you’re planning to move and your pet is not able to travel with you, you should make sure that a permanent solution is found prior to departure. There’s often an unending waiting list for centers for rehoming, which is often months long. Don’t fall for believing that this is an unplanned decision. Planning must begin in the early stages!

Keep in mind that it is your responsibility to comply with the rules of the country you are visiting in the specified timeframe. Pets are able to be exported and be transported in a matter of weeks, but the process for certain countries could last for a full year. Make sure you know the rules for the country you are interested in by contacting the relevant authorities in the country.